Monday, February 02, 2004

weekend update

At the risk of overkill... but you can skip over this rant in any case.

Left the super bowl party promptly after the half-time show. I'd had enough, and decided that I'd rather be reading Harry Potter for the 3rd time, than watching... well, way too much of Janet Jackson. Plus, even though it was turning out to be a good game, I could do without it.

I was reading a reader's forum on the Washington Post web site, and was struck by the amazing number of people that decided it was bad 'for their children.' Why isn't it bad for themselves? Is it so hard to admit that being force-fed nudity when you're not expecting it, is offensive even to adults? Why are children the little angels, but for adults, apparently it's fine to see all sorts of nudity in any context at all? And perhaps it's because I'm religious and all that, but I really don't think so. The people I spoke to at work about it (actually, they asked me what I thought about it), basically felt the same way.

Why the halftime show feels it has to be well, appealing to a 15 year old boy (I had a more scathing remark, but won't post it here). Talk about lowest common denominators. And yes, that is the demographic that MTV is shooting for, but considering a majority of viewers are not 15 years old... and considering that the entire show, not just the JT, JJ bit, was pretty offensive beforehand, it's really just emphasizing that women and girls are seen as nothing more than convenient objects to have sex with. Those people saying that this just shows that women are liberated enough to show their bodies how they want? Well, those would be the MTV execs talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home