Monday, May 03, 2004

Or is it just me?

Something I've been hearing alot about lately is the notion that was preached in high school over and over again: If you don't like someone, it's because they're a reflection of something you don't like about yourself. Now, I tend to discount most things I learned in high school, because most of what they preached was condescending and questionable.

Since I've been hearing more about it lately, I've decided maybe it's worth revisiting and thinking about, instead of just ignoring out of hand. But still, I can't get myself to believe it totally. Sometimes you just don't like someone because you don't trust them, or don't like their attitude or behavior. Basically, because they don't measure up to the standards you want to see in your friends.

Can you tell I'm thinking about someone specific?

Why does not liking someone else's behavior make me the culprit? Why should someone else's negative behavior cause me to feel guilt?? And why should rejecting this idea make me feel like I'm not analyzing or criticizing my behavior the way I should be to become a better person?

I'm asking you, seriously. Is there something I'm missing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home