Wednesday, July 30, 2003

fun fact about the 9 days

A little fascinating coincidence about rosh chodesh Av (which is today--i remembered ya'aleh v'yavoh this morning, only to forget it during bentching this afternoon). As we all know, this is basically a Jewish month of mourning, which fits in nicely with what I learned at work today...

Sameer, who is in my department, mentioned that today is the first of the holy month of shiva-the indian 'destroyer' god. (as opposed to vishnu, who's the 'creator' god). There's apparently some formation of her in the Himalayas that appears on the first of the month... I'll have to look up more about it online... I just find it interesting that while in some ways the religions are so far apart (ok, maybe major ones like one G-d in Judaism vs. many thousands in Hinduism), there are always little coincidences across religions that make you stop and ponder. Things that make you go hmmm....

So while I'm lamenting the fact that I forgot to do laundry last night, and have to go through the 9 days with ugly clothes (ok, maybe that'll make me realize that my life is a little too trivial), I wanted to share something that might make me seem like a little less of an airhead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home