Tuesday, September 23, 2003

On my soap-box

There's a really good article in the NYTimes Magazine section this week, about Lubavitch 'meshichists' vs. non-meshichists. Of course, that's not what they call them in there, but it's fairly interesting article, and they gave it the space it deserved.

I would make the disclaimer here that 'some of my best friends are lubavitch,' except that probably hasn't been true since I graduated high school. Also, while I would have to make the traditional disclaimer of "But look how much good they do!," which is certainly true, it's definitely not an excuse to overlook the tremendous problems that they're going through.

And for that matter, there's no excuse for any brand of Judaism to use their good deeds to overlook the problems they're facing from within. There can, and should, be a concommitant objective to address both the 'outside' and 'inside' issues of the modern orthodox, yeshivish, and chassidish worlds (for starters). There's no reason why this shouldn't be possible.

Hey, after all, it is the time of year to be looking into changing ourselves...

**getting off my soap-box**

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home