Tuesday, December 30, 2003

sad and true

I got a little forwarded email today, from a friend of a friend, which was basically asking if anyone knew of a girl who would be appropriate for the following guy: (identifying details have hopefully been removed)

age; height
specified disability (physical); mention that it happened after-birth, so it's not genetic
# siblings and that none have above-mentioned disability
school; subject (impressive, to me at least)
Smart, goal oriented
minor side-effect of disability
Wants a girl who can look past his disability

Now, usually i just ignore emails of this sort, but it was so frustrating that the shadchan involved seemed to be so focused on his disability (and it's not too major), that she neglects to mention anything significant about him: his personality; his friends; whether he learns; how often; does he go to minyan; what his hashkafa is, etc, etc, etc.

Anything that would reflect well on him is left out of this description, and all I'm left with is the impression of a guy who has a disability is looking for any girl that will take him.

So, I emailed back the friend of a friend who was sending this out on behalf of the shadchan, and asked about what she could tell me about his personality, etc, etc, (what I've mentioned above). I wasn't really hoping for a real response, and knowing who this email came from, I probably don't know any girls fitting that hashkafa, but I did want to make the point that they had left out anything of real importance.

This is the reply I received back:
'The person did not want to give me any more details than I provided so I
don't know but the way it was presented to me was that they want to make
sure first that the girl would not have an issue with the 'disability'
and then the woman would be willing to provide more details. '

I'm so frustrated with this, and it's no wonder why this boy, and many other people, for that matter, is still single (and he is actually younger than me), if the shadchan neglects to take him as an individual who has a mind, and a personality, and is in school for a promising career, but only emphasizes his disability rather than anything positive. I can only imagine her describing me... 'She's 27, but is looking for someone who doesn't mind that she's an old maid.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home