Tuesday, February 17, 2004

highlights

Had a lovely semi-lazy weekend. Amazing how little touring I did when I had a guest over from out of town. I felt pretty bad that we didn't even make it to a Broadway show or something. ah well. I can somewhat blame it on her cold, but I was equally lazy. Also, guests from warm climates are not so amused by New York weather in the winter. It also didn't help that she saw that it was about 50 at home, while it was closer to 20 here.

We went to the seforim sale on Sunday afternoon... it was good. I spent way too much money. LH was looking for something one women's mitzvot/tzniut, but everything they had was either very strict (ie, what they gave out to us in Bais Yakov), or pretty flaky. She ended up buying Halichos Bas Yisroel, against my recommendation (that was the Bais Yakov book). Anyone have any titles to suggest for someone who is converting? Something that has common sense, explains reasons behind things, is not overly strict, and doesn't condescend. Yikes. Maybe I should just write something myself. Though I don't think I know anywhere near enough. Any volunteers?

Also saw 50 First Dates. Waste of money. It was actually a really sad story, well-acted, but interspersed with enough gross-out jokes, unnecessary comments, and other randomness to make it an unpleasant enough experience. Though if you do like crude jokes and crude humor, go ahead--you might enjoy it. But then the story might be too serious. Ah well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home