Tuesday, November 04, 2003

A bit of irony?

The second time that I've gone to the West Side for shabbat, and it was, once again, an all-girls-shabbat. It went really well, although with one very awkward moment. After venting a bit by myself, I spoke to the person last night and discussed how much it had upset me. We ended up discussing a tremendous amount of our relationship and how it evolved, and how we both approach certain situations, and why we both reacted the way we did. Surprisingly productive, considering that a conversation like that has so much potential for ending in utter disaster. Maybe I should try being that open with people I date -- although usually I just decide it's not worth investing that much effort.

Still looking for someone who would be worth the effort.

In other news--I gave a shiur (ok, maybe that's overstating the matter, but 5 people showed up) last week on parshat noach. I thought it was fascinating (I love complimenting myself). I don't know what other people thought. I went through comparisons of Adam and Noach, and how and why there's so much similarity in their stories (especially in the lashon that the parshiot use in terms of Creation vs. the Flood). Ended off with possible reasons why this reflects the differences between the first Creation and the "Re-Creation" of the world post-flood, and why these differences might account for the promises that G-d made after the flood about never destroying the world again, focusing on 2 ideas in particular--one from R. Grossman, and one from R. Etshalom. Check them out on the Gush site, they're pretty fascinating. In any case, there was lots of discussion afterwards, a lot of other background material (Hirsch, R. Frand(!!), and more), and I had a good, but stressful time preparing for it. It took ages of research, and I only started putting my ideas together about 2 hours before I was giving it. Won't have to give again for another 4-5 weeks, so now I have a bit of a break...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home