Thursday, September 02, 2004

Friends, thoughts, and birthday wishes

So all my birthdays are officially over, and I had a few surprises. Some good, some not.

Well, let's go with the good first – I have wonderful friends, and sometimes I feel like I don't really deserve them.

First there was AB², who actually remembered my birthday and baked brownies for me as a surprise dessert on shabbat–topped with colored chocolate chips! Yay! How fun is that? It was completely surprising too, since I'm not best friends with her, and totally didn't mention a thing about my birthday coming up...

Then there was SR arranging an impromptu 'surprise' party, GG calling to apologize for not coming, even though she didn't even know about til 5 minutes before, cards from R, MAB & NB, TK, J&E, all totally unexpected... especially the mailed ones! Who remembers birthdays early enough to actually mail a card??

To everyone who emailed, called, IMd, commented–Thanks! you rock!

So for the most part, all was great, even though I'm an old fogey, and a spinster to boot. Though I'm getting to like the spinster part. I would get some cats to complete the picture, but i generally dislike cat hair, and I'm not particularly fond of cats either.



I've also realized that my quasi social hibernation over the past couple of years was really not good for me. And that I can't expect to keep in touch with friends if I don't call or write or otherwise speak to people if it's not shabbat. So, my project for the next year is to be more pro-active in maintaining and building friendships, since it looks like I've managed to maim at least two very good ones. So plan A for this year is to actually work at friendships, instead of taking them for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home